To help you get your Turkey spot on every time. Before you start, there are a few extra things to take into consideration. First and foremost, buy the best-quality meat you can afford – remember, it’s better to trade up on the welfare front and choose a slightly smaller bird or piece of meat than to opt for poor quality.
Below are our basic rule's of turkey cooking (obviously depends on the oven type):
1. Roast at 200ºc in the middle to bottom shelf of the oven.
2. No matter what the weight theres no need to cook for more than 3 1/2 hours.
3. As there is so much marbling in the meat from the slow growing there is no need to baste the turkey whist cooking. Just keep it in that hot oven!
4. If the top is marvellously brown before the turkey has finished cooking, cover with foil.
5. Make some stuffing and place in the neck or cook separately.
6. There is so much flavour in the meat already you wont need any extras inside the carcus whilst cooking.
1. Use the giblets for the best gravy or stock.
2. Boil for 1 1/2 hour with onions salt and pepper
Don't be worried about cooking Turkey it's just another marvellous Sunday roast!
Jamie Oliver's cooking & resting tips below:
4-5kg | 180ºC/350ºF/GAS 4 | 2 HR 15 MIN - 2 HR 30 MIN COOKING | 1 HR 30 MIN RESTING
5-6kg | 180ºC/350ºF/GAS 4 | 2 HR 30 MIN - 3 HR COOKING | 1 HR 30 MIN RESTING
6-7kg | 180ºC/350ºF/GAS 4 | 3 HR - 3 HR 30 MIN COOKING | 2 HR RESTING
7-8kg | 180ºC/350ºF/GAS 4 | 3 HR 30 MIN - 4 HR COOKING | 2 HR RESTING
8-9kg | 180ºC/350ºF/GAS 4 | 4 HR - 4 HR 15 MIN COOKING | 2 HR RESTING
9-10kg | 180ºC/350ºF/GAS 4 | 4 HR 15 MIN - 4 HR 30 MIN COOKING | 2 HR RESTING
More information found at Jamie Oliver's Roasting Guide: http://www.jamieoliver.com/christmas/roasting-guide/